Friday, August 15, 2008

Falling In Love

Not too very long ago, I blogged here about getting an idea kind of out the blue and needing to run with it. And, I can never tell when I’ll be intrigued by something that will grow into a story. It’s a little like falling in love. Once you stop looking for it, suddenly it’s there.
I guess that’s my muse talking to me, although sometimes she’s whispering so softly I can barely hear her. When a good idea comes along I can’t wait to write it, and it usually flows out easily. When I’m not particularly loving my subject, then writing is too much like work and I don’t enjoy it nearly as much.
Have you ever been on a blind date? Usually, they don’t turn out to be much fun. Your friend builds up the looks, character, and charm of the date, but once you’re actually at the restaurant or movie, you wonder whether or not that person was much of a friend in the first place. That’s kind of what a writing project can get like when the magic goes out.
I have something that I desperately want to write, but first I have to finish another project that has gotten a little stale. I’m one of those people who needs to finish something before I start something else. If I don’t, I feel all scattered and wind up not accomplishing anything because I feel guilty about starting the new project and I’ve lost interest in the old project and…well. It isn’t pretty.
So, for now I’m stuck with an unfinished thing that I’m not fond of any more. Perhaps I really should set it aside for a little while. Maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Until next time,

T.C.

2 comments:

Sheryl Lynn said...

I'm the same in that I want to finish one project before moving on to the next. But I'm not convinced it's the best way to work - what do you think? If your muse is calling you to write something else, maybe we should listen? There have been times when I've had a great idea that I shelved until I finished something else. Then when I've come back to it, it didn't feel so great anymore. I think the excitement had worn off.

Dorlana said...

Hey Theresa,
I’m tagging you with a short meme.
You can find your instructions here:
http://dorlana.blogspot.com/2008/09/whats-up-september-2008.html

Have a great Labor Day!
Dorlana