Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Talent and Temperament

I’m a member of several on line communities whose main topic is writing. The on and off line behavior of authors, and other people in the art community, has recently been a topic of discussion. Mainly, if an artist’s behavior has influenced whether or not we purchase their art, books, movies, music, etc.

Morals and behavior of that sort, while important, may not have so much to do with the business end of writing. When I have a relationship with an agent, or a publisher, I want them to know I’m professional enough to respect a deadline, be willing to listen to their ideas, and accept their vision of my work.

On the other side of the coin, I expect them to respect my time and know that my ideas are important to me, and to understand that I, too, have a vision for my work. This is what I would call a good business relationship.

This has nothing to do with being taken advantage of, either. Standing up for a story I believe in is something I would do. But listening to suggestions is a must.

Now, when it comes to readers who hopefully turn into fans, the people who will actually buy my books, it becomes another matter. While this is a business relationship too, it’s a bit more personal.

It has nothing to do with whether or not I walk into a book signing wearing a huge pink hat and a purple dress. That’s a “personality” or a “quirk” or a fashion nightmare. It has everything to do with how I treat people, and just like with agents and publishers that I hope to work smoothly with in the future, it should involve respect, willingness to listen, and vision.

I recently blogged here about having an “artistic snit”. These happen, even to the best artists. It’s a time when we doubt ourselves, or feel underappreciated for the hard work we put into our art. I keep these unflattering episodes to myself and may, on occasions, share them with my husband. (Which is what a spouse is there for, ranting to and receiving moral support from.) And, on very rare occasions, I might snit to my writer friends. But to continually do this, and worse, in the public eye is counter- productive to developing the kind of relationship that we all want with business partners and fans.

On line or off, our behavior tells people who we really are and, like it or not, it makes a difference.

So, I’m saying that artists certainly have a right to be “artistic” but to define bad behavior as “just being an artist” is wrong. It’s a cop out. Courtesy isn’t that difficult, and moreover it’s required in the business world. Art of any kind is a business.

I hope that any agent or publisher, or potential reader reading my blog, or my myspace page, or who may wander through an on line community I participate in, would find my behavior there to be such that they would want to have a business relationship with me.

It seems as though my muse is the only one in the position to be temperamental and moody and get by with it.

Until next time.

T.C.

No comments: