Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Best Story I Never Told

Tonight my muse is flighty. She's here and she has lots of things she would allow me to write, but she can't seem to settle down and tell me just one story at a time.

We're still working on something, and it's coming along, at least my writer friends think so, but my brain is stalled. In my mind, it is written and wonderful. On the page, not so much.

I read somewhere recently that most writers envision their next project as the best thing they have ever written, that is until they actually sit down and begin. Then, the project turns into work and the words don't flow easily and that beautiful great American Novel, or the prize winning short story somehow falls apart.

That's what's happening to me tonight. The concept of my story is wonderful. I imagine that if I could craft it just so, I could transport my readers in time. I could make them anxious for my main character. They would feel her desperation too, if only I could chose the right words.

You see, it's a wonderful story. The best one I've ever imagined. If only I could just get it down on paper. If only...

Until next time.

T.C.

No comments: